Change is a part of everyone’s life and it can happen at any given point under any kind of circumstances, some are habitual to changes around them because of its frequency in their lives but some who get comfortable in their zones find a change difficult to adapt, in some people it also results in anxiety and improper functioning when they get subjected to a completely new environment but your growth only lies in how you deal with a change, the need to adjust to a new surrounding can present itself at any stage of one’s life
While we discuss change we know it is mandatory and will happen at any given point in your life maybe you are moving to college after your school got over or shifting to a new city or getting a new job everything asks for adjustment, adapting to a new habitat of societal expectations and also not losing one’s own identity, for example, if you are getting into a new job you might have few things to tackle and the foremost thing would be to set up a bond with your colleagues and behaving with manners around your seniors so to be able to earn a respectful place in your workplace.
Here are a few tips to make a transition an easy one:-
- You should try to know more about the place you are going to work in If it is a new job you must look at their website about their previous works and achievements and published articles if you can find them, get familiar with those people placed at high positions in your company and get the gist of the language they use and their stated values.
2. You must decide what would you want to be known as in your workplace for example you might want to be known for being punctual with your work and hardworking with a never giving up attitude
3. To establish yourself as a good employee you need to be kind to the people around you and that is the first basic rule for adjusting yourself in a new environment, you need to be welcoming in order to help people talk and bond with you and vice versa.
4. You must give time to people so that they get comfortable around you, for instance, it’s your first day at your new job and no one invites you to lunch don’t be disappointed for as many new are things for you there same is with those people who might find it weird to connect to you on your first day itself, it is all about having patience at a new place.
5. Look out for opportunities to connect and talk to people and share relevant information on a particular topic as in adding your input when you are in a group, if the group is discussing a cricket match tell them you got tickets, let people know about yourself if the lunch topic is baking cakes and you make good ones tell them you know how to do it and bring it for them when you come the next time, keep adding your bits if you want to bond don’t wait to be asked about yourself, make your own point and earn a place.
6. For your initial weeks at the workplace give people the benefit of the doubt don’t take things too personally, we often have a habit of getting offended by people who may not know us for a long time and they point out something which might hurt us but in a place like an office who must know these boundaries are not to be taken seriously, they probably don’t know us enough yet so they may also get wrong in judging you initially.
7. Try to speak and communicate as much as you can, never let your nature of not speaking much be a barrier for you at your workplace, staying quiet can easily get you apart.
8. If your job transition has demanded relocation of the city too then you must go out and explore even if it’s a new city, state or even a country, get out and see the place, see all that it has in store for you, a new home always has a lot to offer.
9. Transitions are often filled with a lot of anxiety, moving-out jitters and a lot of stress too so with all the hustle you must not forget to take good care of yourself, rest well and exercise, remember that good health will be your greatest wealth in life.